Handbook on the Neuropsychology of Epilepsy (Clinical Handbooks in Neuropsychology)
Once feared and misunderstood even among the medical community, epilepsy has since largely been demystified. Besides the characteristic seizures, various cognitive, behavioral, and emotional difficulties are recognized as associated with the condition, and patients are finding relief in medical management and/or surgical intervention. Not surprisingly, neuropsychology has emerged as a major component in treatment planning, program development, and assessment of surgical candidates.
Geared toward beginning as well as veteran clinicians, the Handbook on the Neuropsychology of Epilepsy offers readers a skills-based framework for assessment and treatment, using current evidence and standardized terminology. Expert coverage reviews widely-used methods for evaluating key aspects of patient functioning (MRI, MEG, electrocortical mapping, the Wada test), and presents guidelines for psychotherapeutic and cognitive remediation strategies in treating comorbid psychiatric conditions. Given the diversity of the patient population, additional chapters spotlight issues specific to subgroups including high- and low-functioning as well as geriatric and pediatric patients. This integrative hands-on approach benefits a range of practitioners across medical and neurological settings. Topics featured in the Handbook:
- Neuropsychological assessment across the lifespan.
- Evaluating the epilepsy surgical candidate: methods and procedures.
- The Wada test: current perspectives and applications.
- Assessing psychiatric and personality disorders in the epilepsy patient. Evaluation and management of psychogenic non-epileptic attacks.
- Neuropsychological assessment with culturally diverse patients.
Practical and flexible in its coverage, the Handbook on the Neuropsychology of Epilepsy serves not only neuropsychologists and neurologists but also primary care physicians such as internists, family physicians, and pediatricians.
Key Product Details
- Trade In Value Currency Code: USD
- Trade In Value Formatted Price: $14.02